Thursday, 23 April 2015

Easter weekend athletics

Easter Weekend Athletics


Over the Easter weekend (Easter Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday) I went to Hamilton, with a group of 42 other children, to participate in the New Zealand Interprovincials.The Interprovincials is an athletics event that is only for 12-13 year old's. I went as part of the Counties manukau team.(Jorien was part of the team as well).


On the morning of Easter Friday(3 April) the Counties team met at the Rainbows End car park to leave for Hamilton via bus. When we finally arrived at Saint Peter's in Cambridge we stayed in the Oliphant house. We were at least 40 min behind schedule, so when we were settled in, we had lunch (Each person had a foot long subway), after lunch we went to Porritt stadium to have a quick practice.


The next day, Saturday, was the first day of the athletics tournament. I had my 1500m at 10:00am and my shot put at 12:40pm. For my 1500m I ran it in a time of 5min 30sec and I came 5th in my heat, but 11th overall, the girl who won the 1500m ran it in a time of 4min 48sec and she was from Wellington. I am unsure of my placing in the shot put.


Sunday was the second, and final, day of the athletics. At 10:40 I had my 800m and there after my long jump. In my 800m race I came 4th in my heat, I ran it in 2min 30sec, and came 8th overall. In long jump I jumped 3m and 98cm, but I didn't find out my overall placing.
After our big athletics day we had the prize giving… but first we went back to the hostile, cleaned up and had dinner.


At the prize giving, Counties came 4th, with a score higher than we have had in 5 years, Auckland came 3rd, Wellington came 2nd, and canterbury came 1st. Once the prize giving had finally finished, there was a disco. The disco started at 8pm and ended and 11pm. After the disco we returned to the hostile, most of the people went to bed but Jorien, a group of kids and I stayed up till 1 am playing Ping pong and eating biscuits…”was so much fun” !
I had an amazing Easter weekend and I made a few new friends, I hope I get the chance to go again next year.   

(A photo of some of the team cheering on our relay runners)

No comments:

Post a Comment